Friday, February 5, 2016

Rent-A-Wheelchair

  I've heard people complain about having rental cars, how they don't drive the same as their own car. I never understood the sentiment until I had to get a rental wheelchair. I was 19 and my electric wheelchair was having some issues so we took it to the mobility center. It was late in the evening and they still hadn't figured out what was wrong.

"We are going to need to keep it over the weekend and should have the issue resolved by Monday." The rep said. 

"I have a class on Saturday," I said, referring to the college course I was taking. 

"We have a rental wheelchair available," the rep offered. 

  They brought out an oversized electric monster of a wheelchair. The seat was like a car seat, much too large for me. The upholstery had rips in it, but the seat itself was fairly comfortable. The control panel looked like a video game pad with its large colorful buttons and oversized joystick. The whole wheelchair was covered in dust. I watched as the rep's assistant made a half-assed attempt at dusting it off. 

  What service. 

  I climbed into the wheelchair. They showed me all of the features. I turned on the wheelchair and pushed the joystick forward. I suppose I ought to have turned the speed down, because I lurched forward and into the wall. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt.

"Wow, it has a boost," I said, laughing. 

  I drove around the office for while, learning how to manage the controls, speed and turns. There were two particular features I really loved; the headlights and the chair lift.

"If this wheelchair wasn't so large, I'd say let's trade," I exclaimed, after raising myself at eye-level with the rep. 

"You're finally the same height as everyone else," my dad laughed. 

"I definitely wouldn't have to stand on my wheelchair anymore," I beamed. 

  The rest of the weekend was spent crashing into furniture, taking out corners of walls and getting stuck every time I accidentally ran off the sidewalk (thankfully I had a friend to assist me). The rental wheelchair was fun, but I was happy when my wheelchair was returned to me. 

"You may not have cool features like the other wheelchair," I said, patting its control pad, "but I'm glad you're my wheelchair."

  And yes, I talk to my wheelchair. 


3 comments:

  1. I would like to thank for creating this interesting blog and its great resource to many peoples, because its having the useful informative post. Wheelchair Price

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment and for reading :) More blogs are coming soon! I hope you continue to enjoy Ramp Life and spread the word!

      Delete