Monday, February 15, 2016

If My Wheelchair Had A Penny

  Be careful where you roll. One day I got gum in my hair and could not figure out how. I didn't chew gum and I can usually tell when someone touches my hair, so it was doubtful that anyone put it there. Frustrated, I began to look around my bed for possible rogue pieces of gum. I knew my sister had a particular fondness for chewing gum...

"Did you leave gum in my room?" I asked her. 

"No, I didn't eat gum in your room." she replied. 

"I got gum in my hair. You promise you didn't leave a piece in my room?"

"I didn't!" she insisted. 

"Then HOW did I get gum in my hair, because I didn't chew any and you always have gum," I argued.

"I don't know," she began to get upset. 

"Will you help me look, because someone left gum in my room or whatever and now it's in my hair."

  We looked around my bed, but could find no sign of gum, or wrappers. Exasperated, I gave up my search. I cut the piece of gum out with scissors. I'm the kind of person who will cut my own hair, before I spend an hour trying to wash or dissolve gum out of it (whatever, hair grows back). I put on my jacket and got in my wheelchair to go outside.

"There's gum on your jacket!" my sister said enthusiastically. 

  I took off the jacket and looked at the sleeve; sure enough there was gum on the back of the right arm. 

"How in the world did that happen?" I asked. 

"Are you sure YOU didn't have any gum?" my sister half accused. 

"Duh, I think I'd remember if I had gum, I must have got it on my arm somehow."

  I rolled myself forward.

"Stop," my sister said, "look."

  On my right tire a penny was stuck fast by a piece of gum.

"Guess that's how I got gum in my hair," I sighed. 

"Your wheelchair is a jerk," my sister said.  

"Yeah, it only gave me a penny for my troubles," I laughed, pulling the penny off of my tire.

No comments:

Post a Comment