Sunday, April 19, 2015

Wheel Of Fortune

  When I was fourteen I had an electric wheelchair in addition to the manual. The electric chair made it easier to navigate my large high school. I found out that there are major benefits to having a power chair, and being able to get out of it every now and then. Whenever I got up one of my friends always wanted to get in it. That got me thinking, I could probably charge money for this. So one hot summer day while some friends and I were playing out in the street, one of them made a request to ride in my chair.

  "Sure," I said, "but you have to give me a dollar." 

  "Seriously?" They replied. 

  "Yep," I said, putting on a sincere poker face, "you're draining my battery, I need compensation." I didn't really expect anyone would want to pay to ride in my chair, but...

  "How far can I go on a dollar?" They asked, and my other friends looked at me with interest.

  Holy crap, it worked! 

  I thought for a moment. Our house was the middle one on our street. "To one end of this street and back. Any farther than that and it's five dollars. If you're not back in five minutes it's ten dollars and if you run down my battery, you're pushing me home and paying me fifteen." 

  "Deal."

  I stuffed the dollar my friend gave me in my pocket, got out of my chair and sat on the curb while my new business venture took off down the street. After an hour, I had five dollars and two friends arguing over who would go again. When the last rider returned I announced that it was time for me to clock out and hopped back in my chair. 

  The next day I had too many request and not enough patience to sit around waiting for my chair to return, so I decided to end my short lived business venture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment