Monday, April 20, 2015

Spinning Wheels

  When I was a kid I went through a spinning phase. I would spin in circles until I got dizzy. I loved the Merry-Go-Round. I don't see them in parks anymore. Maybe too many kids got hurt (spinning has its hazards) and concerned parents called for the Merry-Go-Round's retirement. Even so, there are other objects that spin. My dad had a swivel recliner that my siblings and I used to drag into the middle of the living room when he was at work, and spin each other around in, until it fell over (sorry dad).

  My wheelchair has served many purposes other than helping me get to and from classes. It has been everything from a step-stool to a pet stroller. However, one glorious time it was a Merry-Go-Round. Anytime my parents caught me spinning circles in my chair, they'd scold me. I didn't see the harm in it however, and just kept on spinning. 

  One day in gym class, during free time, I decided to let my friends take turns spinning me in my chair. I put my seat belt on, adjusted the glasses that always slid down my nose and announced in my adorable seven year old voice, 

"Whoever can spin me tha' fastest-est can have my other 'Wessess' peanut butter cup."

  The first girl spun me and she didn't spin me very hard at all.

"Faster!" I shouted.

  The second girl took her turn and she tried to spin me twice.

"You can't-- that's cheating!" The other two shouted. 

"But, it's hard!" She argued. "I think we should have, um, three tries, three spins, okay?" she asked hopefully. 

  I was having fun, so I agreed. 

"Let's start over," I said, and allowed the first girl to re-spin me. 

  Her first spin was better and we all laughed as she made her second spin. I could feel the chair almost float with me as she made her final spin. I heard the laughter turn to screams and I realized it wasn't dizziness that had me feeling like I was falling. I really was falling. In the instant realization struck, I was already on the ground. 

  Hands rushed to lift me and the wheelchair up. I felt a searing pain in my head, just above my eye, which already began to swell. I started crying and I heard the sounds of my three friend's wails behind the nurse who was examining my face. I heard the teacher yelling at the girls and through my own tears I said, 

"Please don't be mad at them, I told them to spin me fast."

  My teacher replied, "You should all know better. You know you can get hurt easy."

"Yes, but I was having fun." I said.

"This isn't fun, it's dangerous. Don't ever do anything like this again." She commanded. 

"Yes ma'am." I said defeated. 

  My glasses broke, the glass cutting into the corner of my left eyebrow. It left a scar that I still have today and every time I look at it I'm reminded of the lesson I learned: My parents didn't tell me not to spin because they wanted to stop me from having fun, they told me not to, because once upon a time they were kids and they liked to spin too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment