Saturday, June 20, 2015

My Wheelchair Takes The Stairs

Even drinking and driving in a wheelchair is a bad idea...

  I was excited to start college and to live on campus, away from home for the first time. I quickly made friends with two girls in my dorm and the night before classes started we had a little first day of school party in one of their rooms. I pitched in some money and we all walked to the store, which was located down the street. My electric wheelchair was great for the trip, but I had to go into the middle of the road, because the sidewalk was unfinished in one spot and the rest of the street was full of muddy potholes. Inside the store, we made our way to the liquor isle.

"What are we getting?" I asked. I rarely bought alcohol, not really one to drink on my own so I left it up to my new friends to make the selection.

"I was thinking some strawberry daiquiris and a couple of margaritas," one girl suggested. 

  We strolled down the isle and I came across a big bottle of strawberry champagne. It was the same price, but the quantity was greater.

"What about this?" I showed them the bottle. 

"Classy," the girls agreed and we bought it, along with two six packs of lime margarita coolers.

  I grabbed a bag of chocolate chip cookies. We paid for our items and headed back to the dorm. I had three cups of champagne and we each had four margaritas. I was pretty drunk by the time I made it back to my room at three in the morning.

  My first class of the day, Spanish 1, was at 8am. I was hungover with a bad headache. I popped a couple of tylenol and downed a bottle of water as I drove my electric wheelchair to class. It was all I could do to pay attention during the hour and a half lecture. As soon as class was over, I decided to go to the cafeteria for coffee. I had a fifteen minute break before Geology.

  The morning before classes started I took a tour of the campus to locate the buildings my courses would be in. I also took note of the library and cafeteria since they would be my most visited spots. If I left the Spanish building the way I'd come in, it would have taken me about nine minutes just to make it all the way around and cross the second building to the cafeteria. Fortunately there was a short cut just through the doors by my classroom.

  Feeling a little lethargic, I exited the double doors quickly, without looking and was jarred fully awake when my chair violently shook twice and came to an abrupt halt. I looked behind me and saw that I'd driven off of two concrete steps. My battery lay on the sidewalk and I was shaking from the fall. Lucky for me a student saw what happened.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, I was pretty tired, but I'm awake now," I said with a laugh. "Can you help me put the battery on?"

"Sure," she helped me lift the battery and I showed her how to set it in place.

"Thank you," I said, "to be honest I am a bit hung over."

"Ah, maybe I should give you a DUI," she smiled.

"Nah, I think I've learned my lesson," I chuckled. "Thanks again for your help."

"No problem. Stay safe and don't drink and drive!" She warned.

  I can't say I never did, but only in my manual wheelchair and NOT around stairs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment